Back To Shanghai Homepage
Call Us From 
Changshou Road

Changshou Road (Longevity Road) is started on the southern bank of Suzhou River in the east, via the crossovers of Changhua Road, North Shaanxi Road, Xikang Road etc., and extended to Changning Road to the west. It is one of the main roads in western downtown Shanghai.

In the late 19th century, the Commonality Concession has been expanded to bank of the Suzhou River. The concession authority wanted to expanded its area to Jessfield Road (now Wanhangdu Road), so they built a road and named Robison, who was the surname of the former British Consulate General in cities of Guangzhou, Shanghai and Xiamen. In 1943, Robison Road was renamed Changshou Road which was a name of a county in Sichuan Province.

Before the expansion of the concession, Changshou Road and its neighboring areas were rural and pastoral. Since the development of the place began, local merchants and foreign businessmen came here to build factories and run companies, thus Shanghai's modern industrial age had started. As the industry boomed, the workers' numbers were drastically increased. There were about 26,700 laborers working in local factories then. Because the suppression brought by foreign imperialists, feudal warlords and wealthy compradors, the laborers' living and working conditions were very bad indeed. This harsh situation aroused their political awareness and awoke their revolutionary spirits. Inspired by the May Fourth Movement in 1919, they went on strike in a cotton factory on June 5 of the same year. They waved flags and chanted slogans on anti-imperialism and cleaning-up the traitors within China. The strike was quickly spread out all over Shanghai.

In the fall of 1920, local Communists established a laborers' school on Changshou Road, and started a workers' movement. So it was one of the starting points for great workers' movement in China. January 1925 West Shanghai Branch of the CPC was established. The dispute between Chinese workers and Japanese Taipans had never been ceased in that year. In May, Gu Zhenghong, a labor leader of the strike workers, aiming to object the Japanese Taipans' conspiracy to fire workers in their cotton factory, was being shot during their march into the plant area. Gu's death became the fuse of the famous May 30 Anti-Imperialism Movement that year, to which students and workers went to Nanjing Road to demonstrate against imperialism. The British Concession dispatched their police forces shot dead 13 people with scores injured and arrested about a hundred.

Laborers and Communists had always been active on Changshou Road area, the anti-Japanese sentiment and Proletariat spirit were so strong during the War as well.

After the Liberation in 1949, the area's living condition has been greatly improved under the leadership of the CPC. Deng Xiaoping, the paramount leader of China, wanted to speed up the Reform and Opening-up in 1992, so Shanghai Municipal Government approved a parcel of land to be leased and then a high-rise building was erected - The Victoria Plaza.

Since the late 1990s, Changshou Road has been a commercial center of western downtown Shanghai and the population growing too. A bell pagoda is erected at the junction of Xikang Road and Changshou Road, locals called it Daziming Bell (The Great Chime Clock). The majestic bell was built in 1926. When they say to go shopping or dining at Daziming Bell, it means to Changshou Road. Nowadays Changshou Road has many high quality emporiums, big supermarkets and posh restaurants. There are businesses involving finance and telecommunication as well. A large vegetation belt is constructed in the middle of the road. The speed limit is 40km/h.

Looking forward into the 21st century, Changshou Road will be an environmental friendly street with functions of business and residential. The night is beautiful on the street, where colorful lights are illuminated. Bring your loved ones here will be an overwhelming experience in your Shanghai tour.