Back To Shanghai Homepage
Call Us From 
Hongmiao Lane

During the mid-20th century, there was a street that had flourished in wooden furniture business in Shanghai, called Hongmiao Lane. It was located at the north of Nanjing Road. Hongmiao had been a Taoist temple built Wanli Years (1573 - 1619) of the Ming Dynasty. Initially the temple was used by two local families who believed piously in Buddhism, so it was managed by Buddhist monks. But in the late years of Kangxi Emperor of the Qing Dynasty (1644 - 1911), the monks gave this temple to Zhang, a Taoist master, who then raised money in order to repair and renovate it. He had been the master of the Taoist temple since then, and in later times it became an orthodox Taoism temple in Shanghai. In 1966, the temple buildings had been used for any purpose but religion.

In the early 20th century, there were a lot of wooden furniture shops set up on Hongmiao Lane, notably the three shops run by the Zhang's Brothers, to whom the Ningbo style furniture was made here. Later they made some Shanghai's white wood products too. Between the years 1945 and 1949, the wooden furniture business was at its top, there were about 40 workshops and stores collectively here.

In 1950s, many shops were being merged or ceased to manufacture. The closing of the Hongmiao Temple had made the wooden furniture industry here declining so fast. But the business was still here like a dimming candle during the late 20th century.