Back To Shanghai Homepage
Call Us From 
Lujiazui

LujiazuiAbout 600 years ago during the Ming Dynasty, when the water system of Huangpu River was formed, it flowed from south to north, met with the water of Wusongjiang River, diverted to the east, and then a big shoal was taken shape on the east bank of the Huangpu River. Lu Shen, a famous scholar flourished at that time was born and deceased here, so the place was called Lujiazui, literally "The Mouth of the Lu's Family".

Lu Shen was born in 1477; at the age of 28 he attained chinshih (Literature Doctorate Degree equivalent of ancient imperial examination in China). He had good knowledge but relatively stubborn of being stuck to the political opinion of himself. So he offended a senior Ming official. He was expelled from the school that he was teaching. And his post had been resumed when the bad official was executed. He died at the age of 68 in his hometown and he has left many valuable books and elegant calligraphy works, some of them are being treasured in Shanghai Museum. Lu Shen's residence and his tomb are still here, many relics have been excavated from tombs of the Qing Dynasty as well.

During late Ming and early Qing Dynasties, fishermen were living scattered around the area, and named Pengjiazhai. In the mid LujiazuiQing Dynasty, Lujiazui became the home of fishermen from the coast of Jiangsu Province and clannish villages were established then. Nowadays Lujiazui has a total area of 2.1 sq. km and 70,000 people. It becomes one of the most famous tourist attractions and well-known financial districts in China. The gigantic Pearl TV Tower and the magnificent 88-storey high Jinmao Building are here.

Since the first year of the Tongzhi Emperor Reign of the Qing Dynasty (1862), warehouses, piers and factories that belonged to powers like the United Kingdom, the United States, France, Germany and Japan were set up in Lujiazui area. About ten years later officials of the Qing government founded China Merchant Company and built a pier and a warehouse here. Late Qing period, the heavy industry had been flourished until the outbreak of the Anti-Japanese War (1937 - 1945). Today there are only three ferry piers existed, Dongchang Road, Taitongzhan and Lujiazui.

Since 1949, Dongchang Road in Lujiazui became the busiest street in Pudong District of Shanghai. The businesses here were mainly engaging in soy sauce, Chinese restaurant and meat store. Local government reformed and improved the social welfare and communal systems, allowed women to take part in group labor and in factories' production lines. Lujiazui's infrastructures and housing conditions had been greatly improved also.

During 1990s, food and textile giants set in the Lujiazui. A milk processing plant can produce 260,000 bottles of fresh milk a day and a Hong Kong invested textile company makes an annual profit about 20 million US Dollars.

 

Jinmao BuildingPearl TV Tower