Back To Shanghai Homepage
Call Us From 
Weihai Road

Weihai RoadWeihai Road is located at Huangpu District near Huangpu River. It was built in the late 19th century for breeding horses.

In 1880s, British colonialists built a great racecourse in this area and sent here 50 good horses from England. In order to serve this horse racing, the colonialists built a street near the racecourse for training horses.

All houses along this street were of two-floor high, but the first floors of them were used stables, while the second floors were used for residential apartments and offices. Lots of Chinese grooms were living here and this street became breeding horse only.

After the Liberation of Shanghai in 1949, the racecourse was pulled down and this street changed its name as Weihai Road in the same year. The government rebuilt this street as an inhabitancy and shopping area. After 48 years of development, in 1997, the street has been built as a street where parts and fittings of automobiles are sold only. Lots of shops that sell vehicle parts and car repairs stations are set up on the street. The environment of Weihai Road is good and tidy.